Kali is a free piece of software in the form of a Linux distribution. It was created for enthusiasts and professionals to perform penetration testing, ethical hacking and for testing network security.
Kali Linux comes with over 300 built-in tools including the following:
- AirCrack – Tool to hack Wi-Fi.
- Burp Suite – Used for finding vulnerabilities in web apps.
- John the Ripper – A notably fast tool for hacking passwords on Unix systems (i.e. Linux and Mac OS).
- Maltego – This piece of software generates a visual relationship between people and files or online accounts.
- Nmap – This tool can display computers on a network and check for open ports.
- SQLmap – A tool that can check for security flaws in databases.
Kali Linux can be booted as a Live USB or installed to a wide range of systems such as a typical desktop computer, a Raspberry Pi or Chromebook.
- 20 GB disk space
- 1 GB of RAM minimum, 2 GB recommended
- DVD / USB boot support